VA: THE RECIPROCITY DEAL BETWEEN MCAULIFFE AND REPUBLICANS
Below is a message from our friends at the Virginia Citizens Defense League (vcdl.org) regarding recent developments on the Virginia Reciprocity law and Governor McAuliffe's attempts to remove our 2nd Amendment rights:
BREAKING NEWS: *** February 1 cutoff date for dropping recognition of 25 states has been extended to March 1 ***
As you've undoubtedly heard from the media, there is a package deal in the works between Governor McAuliffe and the Republicans in the General Assembly dealing with 1) concealed handgun permit (CHP) reciprocity, 2) voluntary background checks at gunshows, and 3) those subject to a permanent domestic violence protection order.
To many CHP holders, CHP reciprocity is a HUGE deal, especially if they travel out-of-state regularly and want to be able to carry discretely. For example, there is no solution to carrying in South Carolina if we don’t have an agreement between our two states.
There is a lot of misinformation from the media and elsewhere and a lot of people are coming to the wrong conclusions about what the deal does and doesn’t do. Rumors are flying that gun owners only get back the reciprocity that was taken away by Herring and the State Police - that is FALSE. We have gained important ground!
THE DEAL IS STILL IN THE WORKS. Things could still go south as the key bills that make up the deal work their way through the legislature and onto the Governor’s desk. SO, FOR NOW, NOTHING HAS CHANGED. THERE IS NO ABSOLUTE GUARANTEE THIS WILL BECOME LAW, BUT A REASONABLY GOOD CHANCE IT WILL. If it fails, we may not be able to fix the reciprocity situation for another two-long-years.
VCDL has been privy to the deal for several days, as was a national group. VCDL monitored progress of this potentially groundbreaking advancement of our liberty from its genesis, and provided counsel and discussion points during its evolution.
The final product was given the nod by VCDL, however we will be watching like a hawk for any changes that negatively affect gun owners.
IMPORTANT DETAILS ON THE “DEAL”
There are three components that make up the deal, each component represented by matching bills in the House and in the Senate.
#1 - Reciprocity details - gun owners gain ground!
* Virginia will honor the carry permits from ALL states! This is considerably better than current law and something VCDL has been trying to get for at least seven years now.
* Because Virginia will honor all other states, Virginia CHPs will be recognized by all the states we have lost AND we will gain some new states: New Hampshire, Georgia, and Colorado!
* The State Police and the Attorney General will have NO say in the new law. If another state requires a formal agreement to honor Virginia CHPs, the new law requires the Attorney General to enter into any such agreement. If he fails to do this, item #3, below, does not go into effect.
* One other change on the reciprocity law: If your Virginia CHP is revoked for cause, you won’t be able to carry on a non-resident permit from another state. Not a deal breaker.
NOTE: Just because we are honoring all other states, doesn’t mean we can carry in all those states. Someone from New York will be able to carry here, but we won’t be able to carry in New York unless New York is willing to enter into a reciprocal agreement with Virginia, for example.
As more and more states start honoring out-of-state permits, the prospects of our permit being honored by even more states down the road is bright!
#2 - Voluntary gun show background checks
* Background checks for a private sale are COMPLETELY voluntary.
* The State Police shall be at every gun show in Virginia, by law. (Some gun owners were thinking this was some kind of a trick - that if the State Police don’t show up, the gun show would be cancelled. This should put that worry to rest.)
* The gun show promoter shall notify the State Police of the location and times of the gun show at least 30 days in advance, shall provide a free location for the police to set up, and shall have signs letting attendees know of the voluntary background checks at the State Police booth. (I checked with one of Virginia’s largest gun show promoters on this to see if any of it was objectionable and was told, “no.”)
* The State Police may charge a reasonable fee. (If they charge more than you want to pay, you can just walk away and do the transaction without the background check.)
* NO information on the make, model, or serial number of the gun being sold will be provided to the State Police - i.e. no federal Form 4473! The purchaser will have to fill out the Virginia form, which asks a few questions and has the buyer's name, address, and signature. (If you don’t want to fill out that form, you can just walk away and do the transaction without the background check.)
* There is a carrot: if a background check is run, the seller receives some special legal protections that are currently not available for private sales. If a background check is not run, you don’t have any more or any less legal protections than under current law.
Yes, down the road inevitably there will be some bills introduced that attempt to make the background check mandatory. We get bills on mandatory background checks for private sales every year. We will have to fight and defeat those bills in the future, just as we fight and defeat similar bills today.
For those gun owners who would feel safer selling a gun to someone who has had a background check, this provides a new option in addition to the current option of either asking if the person has a CHP or going through the more laborious and expensive route of letting an FFL do the transfer. It also has no effect on private sales conducted anywhere outside of gun shows, where this voluntary option is not provided.
#3 - Persons subject to a PERMANENT domestic violence protection order cannot possess firearms until the order expires
* The ONLY permanent protection order this restriction applies to is one for domestic violence and NOTHING else.
* The subject of the protection order must have had his day in court along with any legal counsel. Temporary protection orders do NOT affect possession of firearms.
* If the judge, after hearing the defense, decides to issue a permanent protection order anyhow, the subject of the protection order will lose his gun rights for the duration of the order (MAXIMUM of two years), and automatically get those gun rights back when the permanent protection order expires. Note: a new permanent protection order could potentially be issued when the perament protection order expires if the judge thinks a danger still exists.
* The subject of the permanent protection order will have 24 hours to turn his guns over to a person of his choice, as long as that person can legally possess firearms.
* The above is basically federal law already, and state law already prohibits a person with such a permanent protection order from purchasing or transporting a firearm.
* VCDL will be monitoring the deal’s progress, watching for changes that negatively affect gun owners.
* If a negative issue arises and is not fixed quickly, I will advise all of you immediately via an Urgent Legislative Action Alert.
* I will also be providing links to the three bills described above as soon as the final language is available online. That way you can read them for yourself.
* For now just standby on this, as I keep you advised of the progress of the deal.
* If you don’t have any absolutely urgent questions, please hold on to them for now as it would be easy to overwhelm me with emails (I’m already getting over 200 a day as is).
VA-ALERT is a project of the Virginia Citizens Defense League, Inc. (VCDL). VCDL is an all-volunteer, non-partisan grassroots organization dedicated to defending the human rights of all Virginians. The Right to Keep and Bear Arms is a fundamental human right.
VCDL web page: http://www.vcdl.org
GRNC-PVF RAFFLE: GET A GLOCK FOR CHRISTMAS!
CLICK HERE for details and to buy tickets.
Win a Kimber Custom II, a Glock 43, training, and more!
Only 3,000 tickets will be sold!
*Drawing date: April 3, 2016.
Support these PRO RKBA merchants who, as GRNC sponsors, are supporting your Second Amendment rights:
Carolina Sporting Arms: 8055 South Blvd., Charlotte, NC 28273; 704.554.9511;
The Carolinas' destination for quality firearms and exceptional customer service for over 20 years. We specialize in firearms and firearms-related products with unmatched expertise to help both beginners and experienced shooters find the right products to meet their needs. Charlotte's only Five-Star indoor range! http://csaguns.com/
The Range at Lake Norman, 704-896-3155, www.therangeatlakenorman.com
Hyatt Gun Shop, 3332 Wilkinson Blvd., Charlotte, NC 28208, 704-394-0387, www.hyattguns.com
Tigerswan Range Complex (TRC), World class outdoor shooting range that meets & exceeds the new Cumberland County range requirements. Built by former members of the elite "DELTA FORCE". 2850 Tigerswan Drive, Autryville, NC 28318. 910-208-4117 - tigerswan.com
Carolina Shooters Club, The largest/ most active Online firearms community in the Carolinas. Come join the discussions with our firearms enthusiasts and trainers. We have dedicated sections for the ladies, training topics, political and 2A-related issues. www.carolinashootersclub.com
37 Public Shooting Range & Gun Club, 1333 Loop Road, Bunnlevel, NC 28323, 910-893-9887, www.range37.com
Point Blank Range, 743 River Highway, Mooresville, NC 28117, 704-230-0262, www.PointBlankRange.com
C & E Gun Shows, 4225 Fortress Drive, Blacksburg, VA 24060; Phone 540-953-0016 or 888-715-0606; www.cegunshows.com/
Dixie Gun and Knife Shows, PO Box 21049, Raleigh, NC 27619, ph: 919-781-1287, www.dixiegunandknifeshow.com/
NCGunOwners.com, North Carolina's friendliest firearm smartphone app and web forum, working to promote gun ownership in NC www.NCGunOwners.com
Handgunners, Inc., 4325 NC Hwy 49 South, Burlington, NC 27215, (336) 570-1015 www.handgunners.com
Sterling Pistols, custom pistols, FFL transfers, general repairs, Glock enhancements, 704-840-7625
Reedy Creek Realty, 1818 Medfield Road, Raleigh, NC 27607, 1-877-428-SOLD(7653), NRA / CHP Instructor & Realtor serving the Triangle area, Free Firearm With Home Sale or Purchase!, http://www.ReedyCreekRealty.com
The Blue Book Man and Firearms' Guide www.thefirearmsguide.com
Down South Ammo, Home of "SOUTHERN THUNDER" Exploding Targets, http://downsouthammo.com/
Holsters & Stuff, 4048 Sherwood Forest Drive, Trinity, NC 27370, (336) 313-6167 www.holstersandstuff.com
Morris Firearms at Sportsman's Lodge; Great handgun prices. New and used guns; website: http://www.gftc.com/
Morris Firearms on Carolina Shooters Club: http://www.carolinashootersclub.com/forums/94-Morris-Firearms-at-Sportsman-s-Lodge
Morris Firearms on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Morris-Firearms-at-Sportsmans-Lodge/336361380219
The Aisle Pawn Shop, 216 N. Main St., Mooresville, NC 28115, 704-663-5656
Duncan Gun & Pawn, 414 Second St., North Wilkesboro, NC 28659, 336-667-6303, www.duncangun.com
Shooter's Express, 2 Caldwell Dr., Belmont, NC 28012, 800-358-GUNS, www.shootersexpress.com
Vanguard Security Consulting, LLC, 19135 W. Catawba Ave, Cornelius, NC 28031
Grass Roots North Carolina is a 501(c)(4) organization as recognized by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS). Contributions to GRNC are not tax deductible. "Contributions to civic leagues or other section 501(c)(4) organizations generally are not deductible as charitable contributions for federal income tax purposes. They may be deductible as trade or business expenses, if ordinary and necessary in the conduct of the taxpayer’s business." IRS - Donations to Section 501(c)(4) Organizations. Please consult the IRS website, www.irs.gov, or your tax or legal advisor for specific information.
Financial information about this organization and a copy of its license are available from the State Solicitation Licensing Branch at 9919-807-2214. The license is not an endorsement by the State.
- GRNC Update 8-07-15 WE WIN! OMNIBUS GUN LEGISLATION SIGNED INTO LAW
- GRNC UPDATE 01-13-15 2015 STARTING OFF WITH A BANG!
- GRNC Update 10-6-14: GRNC Compels Durham to Destroy Jim Crow Handgun Registry
- GRNC Update 06-29-14: Victories, Videos, Photos & More!
- GRNC Update 06-13-14: This Just in from Tom Gresham's 'Gun Talk'
- GRNC Update 06-04-14: CSPAN Will Cover GRNC Gun Rights Extravaganza
- GRNC Update 04-16-14: FAQs about GRNC Candidate Evaluations
- GRNC Update 03-05-14: Bloomberg 'Moms' Bomb Again
- GRNC Update 02-27-14: Moms Demanded Action and Got NOTHING!
- GRNC Update 2-5-13: Pro-Second Amendment Lawyer Alan Gura Visits Raleigh!
- GRNC Update 01-25-14: Civitas Media put on notice over gun owner lists
- GRNC Update 01-12-14: Victory in Kernersville!
- GRNC Update 12-2-13 Open Carry Victory in Alamance County!
- GRNC Update 10-03-13: NC Gun Blast - Today's Media Links
- GRNC Update 9-25-13 Two Upcoming GRNC Events!
- GRNC Update 8-8-13 (2): Annual Dinner - Overview, Videos & Photos
- GRNC Update 7-29-13: HB 937 Finally Becomes Law!
- GRNC Update 4-9-13: Wake County ACLU To Host Firearms Panel Discussion
- GRNC Update 3-21-13: Immediate Action Needed: Return Restaurant Carry to HB 17!
- GRNC Update 3-2-13: NC Gun Legislation Analysis
- Agenda: Gun advocates hope to revisit bills stymied last session
- GRNC Update 1-14-2013: Update to GRNC Alert 1-11-2013
- Gun groups to Congress: Members won't register
- GRNC Update 12-19-12: Passing of a Pro-Gun Hero Col. Jim Jeffries
- Newspaper Recommends GRNC Candidate Evaluations Over NRA Ratings